Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Encouraging an Encourager


Imagine being at a conference with 1500 speakers –many who haven’t seen each other in at least a year – and the amount of conversations going on at once. It is a rare occurrence indeed to be standing alone with time to think. But there I was, by myself in front of the photographer’s table studying his schedule for an open slot for my much-needed glam shot. It seems that the current picture of me on my business cards may have changed (just a little) since it was last done. My friends were saving a seat for me at their lunch table and had just texted me that the noon program is about to start. The photographer’s assistant was searching for an open time when a young woman standing off to my right side said, “Hello, I’m Kathy. I’m getting my picture taken.”

I must admit I was a little annoyed at first. Can’t she see that I’m busy focusing on scheduling before the next program starts? Kathy begins telling me that she is really nervous about having her photo taken. I glanced at her while confirming my photo appointment with the assistant. Now that it’s done, I could spare a brief moment before rushing towards the doors of the ballroom.  I tell her not to worry, everything will be fine because she looks beautiful in her red dress. She seems intent on starting a conversation by asking me where I live and what I speak about. I glance at my watch and anxiously look at the room where I need to go.

She tells me she speaks on networking and thought she might need a prop of some sort for her promotional material photo. I suggested she use a business card and tried to pull away. I thought “That should satisfy her, I’m done.” I had given her my time and an idea to use. Then she went on to tell me why she needed a new photo. She said that her hairstyle is different than her last photo because she has just finished cancer treatments and that finally her hair has grown back.

Then she asked me, “Would you please stay with me and encourage me as I get my photo taken?” Wow, do I feel like a heel, recalling words my Mother would use, thinking that I might as well be the heel of a shoe for my total lack of compassion and support for her. Then the music begins in the ballroom indicating that the luncheon session is starting. Once the lights are turned down, it will be nearly impossible to find my friends’ table in the dark.

I hear another text come in. But now my attitude has changed. Rather than thinking of myself, I felt it was much better to give support to my new friend, Kathy.

I’m so glad that I stayed and supported her. Her photos will be beautiful. My gift for today was the encouragement I offered to a stranger who I thought was an interruption but turned out to be a radiant and beautiful new friend.

In giving,

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment