Thursday, March 27, 2014

You Are Now What You Were Then

As I was preparing for an upcoming speech, I was enthralled with how world events have shaped people’s lives resulting in generational differences. For instance:
Civics or Traditionalists
•       Born before 1946
•       Youngest are 68 years old
•       27 million. Six million currently employed.
•       Great Depression
•       Wars
•       Before penicillin, polio shots, frozen food, plastic, credit cards, dishwashers
•       Either fought in WWII or were children
•       Men typically worked and women stayed home
•       Children seen, but not heard
•       Cold War
•       McCarthyism

Baby Boomers
•       Born 1946-1965
•       49 to 68 years old
•       76 million. 55 million employed
•       Beatles.
•       Rock and roll music
•       Moon landing
•       Woodstock
•       Had the largest numbers of people of any generation to date
•       Viet Nam War
•       Assassination of JFK and MLK and RFK
•       Nixon’s resignation
•       Gasoline shortages
•       Oil embargo
•       Watergate

Gen X or Busters
•       1965-1978 (some say until 1981)
•       36 to 50ish years old
•       60 million. 45 million employed
•       HIV/AIDS
•       Berlin Wall
•       Single parent families
•       Pill
•       Legalized abortion
•       Divorce
•       Drug epidemic
•       Women and minorities
•       No major war
•       VCRs and video games
•       Dual-income household
•       Independent
•       Highest volunteer rate

Gen Y, Boom Echo or Millenials
•       Born 1980 –1994
•       36 and younger
•       88 million. 32 million currently employed
•       Comprise 75% of workforce by 2025
•       Iraq
•       Educated
•       Diverse
•       Connected
•       Oklahoma City bombing
•       Rise of the internet
•       OJ Simpson
•       Death of Princess Diana
•       CD’s/DVD’s
•       Columbine
•       Y2K
•       Terrorism

Gen Z or Digital Natives
•       Born after 1994
•       20 and younger
•       23 million
•       Children of Gen X
•       9/11
•       Terrorism—they do not remember a time without war
•       Internet after 1991
•       Great Recession—2008
•       Swine Flu—2009
•       Hurricane Katrina— 2005
•       Ipod—2001
•       Facebook—2004
It made me think about each generation’s music and the device they listened to it. The Traditionalists probably sat around a radio or an old phonograph in a wooden piece of living room furniture. The Boomers may have had a small record player and eight track tape players. Gen X was carrying a boom box on their shoulder listening to cassette tapes. Gen Y listened to their Walkman CD player through earphones and Gen Z has an IPod with ear buds.
Today’s gift was to give away a pair of computer speakers, that I found in the closet, on FreeCycle. I was keeping them as a backup if my speakers stopped working. However, as quickly as computers change, I’ll need to buy new ones anyway. This generational comparison helped me understand that who I am now is because of who I was then—whether it was how I listened to music, played board games or rode my spider bicycle. Things of my generation made a lasting impact on me.
In Giving,

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment