Tuesday, October 22, 2013

If I Were in Charge of the World


If I were in charge of the world
I'd cancel oatmeal,

Monday mornings,

Allergy shots, and also Sara Steinberg. 

If I were in charge of the world

There'd be brighter night lights,

Healthier hamsters, and

Basketball baskets forty-eight inches lower. 

If I were in charge of the world

You wouldn't have lonely.

You wouldn't have clean.

You wouldn't have bedtimes.

Or "Don't punch your sister."

You wouldn't even have sisters. 

If I were in charge of the world

A chocolate sundae with whipped cream and nuts would be a vegetable

All 007 movies would be G.

And a person who sometimes forgot to brush,

And sometimes forgot to flush,

Would still be allowed to be
In charge of the world.
Written by Judith Viorst

This poem is in memory of a friend who passed away today. If she had been in charge of the world she would have won her battle with cancer one more time. As Elton John sang, “Her candle burned out long before her legend ever did.”

If I were in charge of the world I would add one more verse:

I would tell people I care about how much they mean to me.
I’d go out of my way to give them a hug.
I wouldn’t wait to give them an encouraging word
Instead I would pick up the phone and call them, right now!

Today’s gift was to call a friend who, when we see each other, we both say, “Let’s get together sometime.” As I experienced today, “sometime” may never happen, if I don’t make the call. I took charge of my world today and made the phone call.

In Giving,

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment