Sunday, October 13, 2013

Ring My Bell


In a small town in Southern Utah this Sunday afternoon, we were searching for a place to eat lunch. We found an unexpected lesson in customer service at a fast food restaurant. People often choose to eat at a place that is familiar. You know what to expect and hope that the quality of the food is consistent. It may not be the most delicious food in the world, but you know what you are getting.

Exiting the interstate, we drove past what appeared to be dozens of restaurants to get to Arby’s. We walked to the counter and ordered a jumbo sized meal to split between the two of us. The cashier, Michael, asked us if we would like the sandwich cut into two. I was surprised at the extra effort he offered.

Then he shocked me even further by asking my first name so that he could write it on the order. He said he wanted to call our name when our order was ready. Dale Carnegie in his iconic book, How to Win Friends and Influence People said that a person's name is the sweetest sound in the world to that person. I really liked hearing my name called when our order was ready instead of being called by a number. This experience was more than what I usually get at a fast food restaurant.

Then Michael handed us two cups for the drink that was included in our meal. I corrected him that we only ordered one meal and therefore one drink. He said, “No, that’s okay. This one is on the house.”

As we ate our sandwich, French fries and drank our two medium sized drinks, I noticed people ringing a bell as they walked out the door, but wasn’t sure what prompted them to do it. But I was about to find out.

Today’s gift was twofold. One gift was telling the manager that I was impressed with the customer service that we received. It seemed so natural to the employees who worked there, but something we haven’t experienced very often. It made Tim want to order a milkshake for dessert that he wouldn’t have normally ordered since the experience made him feel so good.

The other gift was ringing the door that was placed by the front door that said, “If your service was good, ring the bell.” Michael rang my bell by making me feel like he was glad I chose his restaurant and making me want to return again. In the meantime telling people about the positive experience at the St. George, Utah, Arby’s.

In Giving,

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment