Monday, February 10, 2014

Can You Read My Writing?

Today was a busy day for my right hand. At the grocery store I completed the transaction by signing my name on the pen pad. In a meeting, I penned handwritten notes with a blue pen on a white legal pad. Next, I returned an item to the office supply store and signed my name on the cash register receipt. Then, I signed a tax form in longhand.

I accomplished these tasks because I was taught cursive handwriting in grade school. The new core curriculum for grade schools has changed that requirement. At least 41 states do not require public schools to teach cursive reading or writing. Schools say the priority is on computer use and keyboarding skills because tests are taken on computers.

Without knowing cursive handwriting how will people be able to sign on the dotted lines of contracts, college, reimbursement, or bank forms? We’ll be reverting to X’s once again. Heartfelt, handwritten thank you notes and sympathy cards will not exist.
In the murder trial of George Zimmerman, who shot and killed Florida teen Trayvon Martin, Trayvon's 19-year-old friend, Rachel Jeantel, testified to being on a cellphone talking with him just before his death. Many in the courtroom were shocked when Jeantel admitted on the stand that she could not read a document a lawyer handed her because it was written in cursive handwriting.

Experts say that handwriting training helps small children develop hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, and other brain and memory functions. Some say cursive writing could be important for children who want to be a surgeon, painter or some other professional requiring laser-like precision with their hands.

Today’s gift was to use my learned skill of long hand, cursive handwriting to send a note to a business colleague. He is known for sending handwritten notes of encouragement to others. I wanted him to receive one, too. I told him that a mutual business acquaintance and I were having coffee and his name came up. We both spoke well of him and his great ideas. I thanked him for sharing his wisdom. Fortunately, he learned cursive handwriting and will be able to read my note.

In Giving,


Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment