Saturday, March 8, 2014

A Fireman Who Could

Gary was standing in line at the post office staring at the letter in his right hand. He might have had a tear in his eye. He gave a warm greeting as he waited for the next available clerk. After the initial exchange of the state of Gotham City a.k.a. Klamath Falls, he talked about where the stamped envelope was going.

Our friend explained that he had taken a tour of the local fire department as part of a community event. There he saw a video that included a story about 6-year-old Tyler Seddon, who has Leukemia and is awaiting a bone marrow transplant. This is the second time he has been subjected to endless rounds of chemotherapy. The plea in the video was from his mother, Rachel. She said that Tyler loves police and firemen and asked that they send a birthday card to Tyler for his upcoming seventh birthday.

That is what Gary had in the envelope. When I researched it on the Internet, I discovered that his mother really just wanted cards from fireman and policeman. I knew that wasn’t me. My father, a retired fireman, would have certainly sent a birthday card if dad was still around. It got me thinking “Who could I ask to send Tyler a card.”

Today’s gift was to send a Facebook message to a friend in Beckley, West Virginia, who is a retired fireman and ask if he had heard about Tyler. I sent him the link with the address to send him a birthday card. Although I couldn’t fulfill Tyler’s request on my own, I was able to find  a fireman who could.

In Giving,

Robin



No comments:

Post a Comment