Sunday, March 30, 2014

Who is the Cookie Lady?

What do you remember about your first jobs as a teenager? I worked in a fabric store for my first job. Another time I did secretarial work as a temporary employee. When I was a senior in high school, I was on a co-op program going to school in the morning and working in a hospital as an Admissions Clerk during the afternoon.

In the early 1980’s, one of my most fun jobs was Ambassador to Beaver Creek, Colorado, Ski Area. Really the job was not as prestigious as it sounds. To my friends I was known as the “Cookie Lady.”

I worked two hours a day, three days a week. During that time, I was the most popular person on the mountain. My job was to load a large vat of hot chocolate and trays of freshly baked chocolate chip and peanut butter cookies onto a cart and wheel it out to the base of the ski mountain. I offered the free snack to thirsty, hungry skiers. The ski area’s main purpose was to provide a unique experience in unparalleled customer service at Colorado’s newest ski mountain. They wanted tourists to return home and tell people about their great experience.

One day, Oprah Winfrey skied by for a cookie. Many times I couldn’t recognize the celebrities in their ski garb. Later my friends would tell me about the famous personalities that I had provided directions, given some uplifting words or told them where to find the best snow on my secret, favorite runs.

Today’s gift was to relive my “Cookie Lady” days, by baking ginger cookies for my neighbor. Who knows maybe I’ll start being called by my old nickname again!

In Giving,


Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment