Sunday, April 20, 2014

Carrying His Own Books


Six hundred and fifty people attended the First Presbyterian Easter church service in the Ross Ragland Theater. A second service was held around the corner in the church building.

Tim and I arrived early to serve as ushers; however, we were not needed because so many people had volunteered to help. Although, the organizers did ask for our help to move the stage set from the theater to the church in between the two services.

We sang contemporary songs and listened to stories of trials and triumphs. When the service concluded we climbed the stairs onto the stage and Tim began helping dismantle the Plexiglas panels from around the drums, carry the pulpit off of the stage and back to the church, stack the chairs, etc. Sitting near the front of the stage were props that were used to illustrate a point: a pitcher, glass of water and barstool. I reached to pick up the pitcher and glass and noticed the minister’s sermon notes.

When I do a presentation, I am very protective of my master speech. If I took it, might he come back in the meantime and think it had been misplaced? I told the other helpers not to move the barstool, props and notebook and then ran around the theater looking for the pastor. Still looking, I walked over to the church and met him slowly making his way back to the theater. Well-wishers were stopping him every few feet to give him kudos on the service. I finally got his attention and asked if he would like his things brought over to the church. He let out a sigh of relief that his props and sermon notes were safe.

Today’s gift was to protect his valuables and then offer to take them to the church. He agreed to let me take the props. I certainly understood why he wanted to carry his own books.

In Giving,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment