Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Every Litter Bit Hurts


When I was young I wanted to be just like Suzy Spotless. You may remember her from this commercial. I ran around singing the ditty: “Please, please don’t be a litterbug, because every litter bit hurts.”

So, it was no surprise that I was enthusiastic about Mr. Moomaw, the new 10th grade high school biology teacher, who had innovative ideas about conservation. Except for Suzy Spotless, I had not been taught much about how to save the environment.

To celebrate earth day Mr. Moomaw arranged a field trip to Holly River State Park. We left early in the morning to drive the windy roads into the central part of West Virginia. My motion sickness pills worked well as I was thrown around in the back of the old yellow school bus. Some of the other kids didn’t fare quite as well.

As typical for West Virginia, when we arrived it was raining. We sloshed through the outdoor exhibits. Mr. Moomaw wouldn’t let it rain on his parade. He said this was Mother Nature at her finest. The displays explained The Keep America Beautiful ad campaign, which helped reduce litter by 88% and was very evident on the hillsides of West Virginia.

Today’s gift, in celebration of Earth Day, was to photograph a purple finch and submit it to Nature Abounds. I am designated as a “Watch the Wild” participant for this area of Klamath Falls. Scientists make determinations about the environment based on my answers to questions about current temperature, blooming flora, and fauna. The “litter bit” campaign helped us start celebrating Earth Day and now it gives the birds a clean and green environment.

In Giving and Birding,
Robin



No comments:

Post a Comment