Thursday, April 17, 2014

When You’ve Been Tagged


A woman was patiently waiting to talk to me when I finished my speech at the Society of Human Resource Management meeting. She handed me a card that said, Smile. You’ve just been tagged. Experiments in anonymous kindness is the name of the game, and now—you’re it.

She turned the card over so that I could read the back of it: Someone reached out to you with an anonymous act of kindness. Now it’s your chance to do the same. Do something nice for someone. Leave this card behind and keep the spirit going!

In 2003, the volunteer organization KindSpring started an experiment of giving away Smile cards when people did kind acts. It has continually grown since then.

The website includes great stories like this one:

Yesterday afternoon in St. Louis, Missouri, it was rainy and light snow. While pumping gas, a young man approached me and asked if he could pump my gas for a dollar so he could get something to eat. At that moment the pump stopped, my tank was full. I asked him to meet me at the Burger King across the street. At this time he informed me that the manager had asked him to stay away, as he was begging. I went in, talked to the manager, explained that I was going to buy him a meal, and would they let him stay long enough to eat his meal. The manager agreed. I purchased his meal, and thanked the manager by telling her she'd done a good thing and also gave her a smile card and a Hershey Kiss!

Today’s gift was to order Smile cards so that I can tag other people to pay it forward. Everybody can feel good about being tagged!

In Giving,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment