Saturday, August 10, 2013

A Surprise Re-boot


What if we had a re-boot button for our lives? We could choose the last “saved” event and wipe out the unpleasant memories of saying something we wished we hadn’t or not saying something that we wished we had. It would be a “do over” with no consequences. If I could do that, what would I re-boot?

I wouldn’t want to be a child again, but there are fun childhood memories that I wouldn’t mind reliving; like spending time in my Great Aunt and Uncle’s cabin on the Greenbrier River. It was equipped with a “two holer.” If you didn’t grow up in Southern West Virginia you may not know about the Cadillac of outhouses that was equipped with two seats instead of just one. It was fascinating back then, but wouldn’t be so much now that I’m grown up.

Another fun memory was the travelling carnivals, which set up in the K-Mart parking lot each summer. My Grandfather would ride all the carnival rides with me—my first ride on a Ferris Wheel and a roller coaster were cuddled up next to Granddad. Some of my best memories were simple, everyday occurrences.

One day, Susan and I found a few dollar bills lying on the street near my house as we were riding our bikes. We speculated who may have lost them and if we should try to find out. We quickly forgot about that in favor of deciding what flavor of ice cream to buy. For today’s gift, I decided to re-create that childhood memory for someone else.

From where I sat in the ophthalmologist’s office, I noticed a children’s play area off to the side of the room. When no one else in the waiting room was looking, I nonchalantly placed a few coins on the toys, slide and small table. I imagined kids laughing as they found the treasures. Although the quarters, nickels and dimes won’t buy what they once did, their fun will be finding some money.

I re-created the pleasure of a simpler time without a reboot button. I’m sure it made a nice surprise for a child.

In giving,

Robin

1 comment:

  1. Most excellent idea Robin. I will put it to practice, effective immediately.
    Be well my friend.

    ReplyDelete