Thursday, August 22, 2013

Caring for the Caregivers


There are only four kinds of people in the world,
Those who have been caregivers,
Those who are currently caregivers,
Those who will be caregivers,
And those who will need caregivers.
Rosalynn Carter

Most of us have cared for a loved one who was sick. It may have been for a short period of time while the person recovered from a brief illness or it may have continued for a long time. Regardless of the duration, it can be demanding. Many times the patient doesn’t realize the emotional toll on the caregiver.

Several years ago, Tim had a skiing accident and broke his neck. Up to that point in my life, most health issues had been resolved with a prescription or a day or two in bed. I thought this would just take a little longer. What I didn’t realize was that a traumatic injury may have unseen consequences, like a spinal fluid leak. That resulted in a trip back to the emergency room and for him to be readmitted into the hospital. 

When I became weary, I was fortunate to have a pinch hitter, Tim’s younger sister, who had travelled to Salt Lake City. Tim, on pain medications, kept trying to send her home since, “he didn’t need her because he was in the hospital.” Luckily she knew that I, the caregiver, really needed her help. He was oblivious to the stress we were under.

Now my father has Alzheimer’s and, as the disease goes, it has gotten progressively worse. A few weeks ago he was admitted to the hospital and then to long-term care. My mother, brother and sister are tirelessly caring for him.

Today’s gift was to recognize them for their caring and compassion. I sent each of them a card thanking them. I will continue to look for and thank those people who are the caregivers.

In Giving,

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment