Thursday, August 1, 2013

Nothing is Real if You Don’t Believe in Who You Are

The city of brotherly love, Philadelphia, is rich with historical features like the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall and Benjamin Franklin’s workshop. Streets are named after forefathers whose names we may not recognize but who made major contributions to the country we live in today. However an event that occurred in ’76, not 1776 but 1976, has somewhat overshadowed the period when the Declaration of Independence was signed.

This event, which took place on the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, is a bit aggravating to some locals.  E! Channel ranked it as No. 13 in its “101 Most Awesome Moments in Entertainment.” You probably remember the movie starring Sylvester Stallone where Rocky Balboa climbs the 72 steps at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. This classic rags to riches American Dream story has become a metaphor for an underdog rising to meet their greatest challenge.

Sylvester Stallone did not know that his struggle would be a gift to the city. In his honor, an 8-foot tall statue of Rocky was placed at the entrance to the museum. When people became enraged about having a statue of a movie character on the front stairs of an art museum, it was removed. Statue supporters argued that many people who would never have gotten close to an art museum were drawn to the statue and hence the museum. The final decision was that film is art and the statue was placed off to the side at the bottom of the stairs.

Today as I was taking pictures on the stairs, a man shouted at me to grab my purse. My belongings were in full view and less than four steps from me. He yelled again and began walking toward me, which prompted me to gather up my stuff. He asked that I bring my camera and come with him to the other side of the stairs. His encouragement was persistent so we followed him.  When he turned around I saw the word “Rocky” emblazoned in white letters on his black t-shirt.

He took my camera and began taking several photos, at least 15 or 20, of us posing together, by ourselves with the museum in the background, and on the famous steps. And then came the sneaky feeling that this was a scam. I resisted the urge. Instead, I appreciated that he wasn’t one of the people sitting on the street corner asking for a handout. Here was a guy who was willing to do something that he knew tourists like us wanted. He was earning his charitable request.

Rocky said, “Nothing is Real if You Don’t Believe in Who You Are.” This man has found a way to make it real and offer people more than they even knew that they needed. I pumped my fists in the air, Rocky style, and gladly gave him my gift for the day . . . a $5 tip.

For you movie buffs, watch Rocky climb those stairs one more time here

Huffing and Puffing and Giving,

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment