Friday, August 16, 2013

If I Knew Then What I Know Now


You may have a done an activity to gain perspective on life by writing your own make-believe obituary. It is a sobering exercise to ask yourself challenging questions like, “What will I be remembered for?” or “Will I even be remembered at all?” Years ago I read the poem If I Had My Life to Live Over by Nadine Stair, an 85 year-old-woman who wished she had done some things differently in her life. It inspired me to write my own version.

If I Knew Then What I Know Now
I’d wake up each morning with a smile on my face and reflect on yesterday’s blessings and gorgeous moments.
I’d remember to be less serious and have more fun.
I’d wake up earlier and enjoy more sunrises, stay up later and enjoy more moonlit nights under the stars and watch the sunsets in between.
I’d spend more time being and less time doing.
I would enjoy moments with my family because tomorrow may be different.
I would know that everything happens for a reason, even though I may not know it at the time.
I would do more of the things I enjoy and less of the things I don’t.
I would learn to be the first to say I’m sorry—sooner.
Well, I’ve been excited about things, but I’d learn to celebrate the successes more often and with more enthusiasm.
I’d get a dog sooner—all my troubles would melt away when I saw his tail wag.
I’d wag my tail more when someone does something nice for me.
I’d do more caring things for other people.
I’d laugh more and love more and learn to do kind things for myself.
I’d also:
Give and receive more hugs
Get over my fears
Enjoy more bubble baths
Be less responsible
Know the money will come
Make friends with change
Although I can’t have those lost moments, I do know now what I didn’t know then, and there’s still time to do it!

Last week a good man passed away. Ten years ago, at 45-years-old Allen was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis and given one year to live. Even in his death he is still giving. He has requested in lieu of flowers that donations be made to Trevor’s Cure Dat Foundation, which was today’s gift. This is for health care costs of his cute nephew, Trevor, who at six months old was diagnosed with Spinal Muscular Atrophy.

None of us know how much time we have left on this earth. Let this be a reminder to me to enjoy each moment of each day, because I do know now what I didn’t know then and I want to Carpe diem!

In Giving,

Robin
http://www.gofundme.com/curedatsma to see a photo of Allen and Trevor.

No comments:

Post a Comment