Thursday, August 15, 2013

Give Someone a Bye


If you’ve heard the phrase “they got a bye” you probably know that it means a sports team won’t be required to play a game on that day. Most players welcome a bye because they have time to rest and recuperate before their next game.

But when a bye occurs with one of my scheduled appointments, I become frustrated—a haircut, manicure or lunch with a business associate or friend. The person calls and changes the appointment. Even though a new time may be more convenient for me, my first response is, “Jeez, I scheduled other meetings around this one and now I have a gap in my calendar.” When this happens to me I take a few minutes to re-frame the situation.

Imagine that your bank phones and informs you that your account will be credited in the amount of 86,400 pennies ($864) every day. The only stipulation is that it must be spent that very day. No balance can be carried over to the next day. Every evening cancels whatever sum you fail to use. Think about what you could do with this gift. Would you spend every penny every day? What would you spend it on?

We do have a bank, which provides us with time, not money. It could be called the Bank of Time. Every day this bank credits your account with 86,400 seconds. No balances can be carried into the next day and every night erases what you do not use. Failure to withdraw and claim it is your loss. Today I gave a mother with small children the gift of time.

She informed me that the timing of my previously scheduled appointment with her would not work, but she insisted that she could stay late to accommodate me. Instead of having my appointment today, I asked when would be convenient for her. I rearranged my schedule for tomorrow and gave her the gift of time to spend with her family today.

In Giving,

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment