Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Crackers or Spaghetti O’s


Typically when I go to the grocery store I’m focused on buying what is on my list. Today, I had a different experience in the Food Lion in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. I am visiting my mother and offered to join her on her shopping trip.

My mother picked up a box of crackers and started to place it in the shopping cart. Then she asked my sister if it was nutritious enough or if she should choose something else. I’m watching this interaction and thinking that my mother is actually more concerned with what we like to eat than how healthy it is for my sister and me.

Surprisingly, my sister said that she usually buys Spaghetti-O’s or canned ravioli. Mom said that was a better idea and they headed to the canned food aisle. I was curious as to what this conversation was about; comparing crackers to canned food seemed odd to me.

Then mom and sis said that they always buy something to give to the local food bank when they go to Food Lion. Six years ago Food Lion was the first grocer to donate perishable products to a charity. Their work helped grow similar programs involving many more retailers. Their willingness to not only donate food but to share their expertise in charitable giving resulted in 34.5 million meals in the United States in 2010.

The local food bank recommended canned meat for those who are hungry. I grabbed two cans of tuna and placed them in the cart. After the cashier rang up the items, I placed them in the food bank container which was beside the exit.

If all grocery stores had programs that were this convenient and easy to do, we all would be much more likely to donate. Maybe other stores do have it and I just haven’t noticed. I will keep my eyes open for similar giving opportunities and not be bashful about talking to the manager of the store to suggest that they start a similar program.

In Giving,

Robin 

No comments:

Post a Comment