Monday, August 26, 2013

Leave a Gift For Someone to Enjoy


If you haven’t looked at the price of a magazine recently, you may be surprised. They can cost 7 bucks or more! I remember the day when my Granddad bought me Richie Rich, Archie or Superman comics for a nickel. Time magazine couldn’t have been more than a quarter then. I’m glad my subscription price is just a fraction of what is printed on the cover.

As I read my magazine, there was one article that gave an interesting perspective on the topic of perfection. The author interviewed supermodel Cindy Crawford, Martha Stewart and author Jonathon Franzen. Each had a unique perspective on precision. Cindy said her birthmark on her face was originally removed from photos because it was perceived as a flaw, but later it was her uniqueness that made her famous. Martha continues to perfect every craft item that has her name associated with it.

Another story profiled a business that grew from Sophia Amoruso purchasing clothes on eBay and creating a very profitable vintage clothing business called Nasty Gal. She named it from the title of a song by funk musician Betty Davis, second wife of Mac Davis.

The magazine also included the top five fashion trends of the year—none of which I will be buying with price tags starting in the tens of thousands of dollars. There was also an article about Holly Branson, Richard Branson’s 31-year-old daughter who will one day take over Virgin Airlines. Initially Holly did not want to be a part of the business, but she and her father have become very close living on his ranch in Africa.

I didn’t have time to finish reading the entire magazine. I was thinking that I should keep it since it seems to cost so much to buy. Then I thought that someone else might get as much joy out of reading it as I did. For today’s gift, I tore off my address label and left it in the airline seat pocket for the next traveller to enjoy.

In Giving,

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment