Wednesday, September 25, 2013

A Gift of Sharing


Do you think about the stories that will be told after you are gone? Even though I have made some mistakes along the way, I hope that people will remember the positive tales about me. Today I attended a celebration of life service. The stories told were varied—some poignant, touching, and impactful and many were humorous. All stories were fond memories of the deceased.

My father-in-law, Big Tim, would have enjoyed being there to hear what others had to say about him. His son, Ed, told how his father so positively influenced him. Big Tim supported Ed while he decided what he wanted to do with his life. Then later, Big Tim relied on Ed to learn to live in the way of the Lord. Ed described how his dad grew spiritually which helped him in his later years.

Other people volunteered to share their memories of Big Tim. One told of his love of playing cards. Well, he really didn’t just like to play—he loved to win. Matter of fact, he taught others how to play Knock Rummy so that he could beat them time and again.

Many stories were told of how he was known for wearing boxer shorts in his own home. He had friends in “high places” like governors and state senators. When the former governor visited his home, Big Tim was asked if he was going to put on more appropriate attire. He replied that if the former governor didn’t like what he was wearing in his own home, he didn’t have to visit.

When I met my father-in-law for the first time, my husband, Tim, called his parents to tell them he was bringing his new girlfriend to meet them. Tim hoped that his dad would look a little more presentable for me, but it was not to be. In spite of being a little shocked by his attire, or lack thereof, I developed a good relationship with him over the 34 years that I knew him.

I’ll remember little things that he enjoyed, like my cooking. Well, I’ll say I prepared one dish that he really like which was my pork chops recipe. I always think of him when I make them.

He also liked to forward jokes from his computer. When he had problems with the Internet or his email I’d be one of the people who would help him resolve the issues.

He was always generous with Tim and me. He helped us buy our first house, got us through some financially difficult times and loved to purchase dinner or anything else that we needed.

My gift for the day is writing about him so that others can know what a loving, caring and generous man he was. May he rest in peace and never be forgotten.

In Giving,

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment