Monday, September 2, 2013

Vote for Your Favorite School


Times have sure changed now that you can click a link and your favorite school can receive up to $10,000. I remember raising money for my school by baking cookies for a bake sale. It was for funding a field trip to a state park, or new chairs for the cafeteria or something. Those memories came back to me as I was looking through my old report cards.

Judging by my deportment grades, it seems that I liked to talk. Also, according to my grades, I didn’t care for history or geography very much. And there were some years that science wasn’t my favorite subject because I slid by with a “C”.

What really made a big impact on me was seeing the standardized test that I took in grade school to determine my IQ score. Since that time, 42 years ago, I have believed that my IQ score was lower than most. Leading up to the test, the teacher touted it as one of the most important of my life. I remember the day that I took that long, grueling exam, I was recovering from strep throat.

What happened when I received the results is even more vividly etched in my mind. My teacher announced in front of the class that my score was low. I wasn’t sure what that meant, but knew that it probably wasn’t a good thing.

Today, as I researched ranges of IQ scores on the Internet, I discovered that my score was indeed average. The reason the teacher may have said what she did was because my class had many bright kids who really challenged me. However, it also made me look and feel . . . well, average. It resulted in some negative feelings about my teacher, but now I realize that I built coping skills from the experience.

On Target’s website it reads, “Vote for your favorite school.” They will donate $25 to your school if they receive 26 votes and each additional vote garners $1 per vote. Target is giving away a total of $5 million—up to $10,000 for each school. Every teacher, principal, parent and child should vote and tell everyone they know to vote for their school. However, only one vote per week is allowed.

My gift for today was to vote for a school that I know needs money. I plan on voting for it weekly too. I want to help schools that need money to continue giving the kids’ life experiences that will help them be a well-rounded person. Go vote for your favorite school today givewith.target.com

In Giving,

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment