Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Anonymous Love Letters


Maybe you’ve had a really difficult day today. Or perhaps this week has gone downhill dealing with life’s challenges. Sometimes I get out of bed in the mornings and sing like Tony the Tiger, “It’s going to be a great day.” But then life happens and the car breaks down, I don’t feel so well, someone is rude to me or a family member has a bad go of it. I know I shouldn’t let it upset me, but each little thing piles on top of another.

I ask participants in my stress management workshops, “What causes the most negative stress—one huge event or tiny everyday irritations?” If you think that everyday frustrations contribute the most to distress, you are correct. I believe that big catastrophes are like pulling a Band-Aid off a cut. Initially it hurts a lot, but then after it happens you grieve and can begin healing. But with everyday annoyances, one after another, they accumulate on top of each other. And you may have said, “If one more thing happens, I’m going to scream.” It does happen and although you may not scream out loud, you certainly feel like it.

What if on one of your bad days you found a handwritten letter that said:

Dear You,

Although You and I have never met, whatever you are going through right now, I know you will make it. You are a survivor.

You may have heard the saying, “When one door closes, another opens.” However, closed doors are meant be opened because that is what doors are built for—to open and close.

Don’t get discouraged by roadblocks and closed doors, instead gain strength through the adversities and be stronger for life’s next challenge.

This letter is a hug for you today.

Love,

Your Friend

For today’s gift, I did just that. I left this anonymous, handwritten letter in a local restaurant and wrote on the envelope: If you find this letter it was meant for you. I hope that it brightens someone’s day and they pay it forward to someone else who needs encouragement.

In Giving Anonymously,

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment