Thursday, September 5, 2013

Sit Down and Rest a Spell


Gently swaying back and forth in a white, wooden rocking chair and listening to a pianist play James Taylor tunes, I was watching people saunter past. The smell of fresh cinnamon rolls wafted through the air. It felt like the bygone days on my grandparent’s front porch swing, watching cars drive by while my grandmother made fresh cinnamon apple pies. However, I wasn’t in a place that would typically conjure up those kinds of memories—I was in an airport.

Not only did the ambience of the Charlotte, North Carolina Airport help me feel relaxed, I also noticed others moved a little more slowly and some even paused to take in the surroundings. This is the southern way-of-life where people can be heard saying, “come sit down and rest a spell.” I was amazed that people actually seemed to be taking a break in a busy airport on a weekday afternoon.

The southern hospitality even carried over into the restroom where an attendant had a small table by the door with mints, Kleenex and other necessary supplies. She took pride in picking up stray pieces of paper, refilling soap dispensers and even handing me paper towels to dry my hands. She was quite friendly as she went about her job of keeping the restroom spotless for airport guests.

Today’s gift was giving a tip to the washroom attendant who contributes to the slow paced, southern atmosphere that helped me “sit for a spell” and delight in the sweet smell of cinnamon rolls from Cinnabon.

In Giving,

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment