Monday, September 9, 2013

Clothe a Child


When I was a child, I felt special because my mother sewed most of my clothes on an old Singer sewing machine with the treadle foot pedal. My favorite skirt was made from yellow and white checked wool fabric. I also loved my pink and white striped, seersucker, sleeveless dress. She even made my formal dresses when I was in junior high and high school. My first store-bought gown was for my senior prom.

I went shopping with a friend and came home with a floor length, yellow dress that covered me to my chin. This dress was even a little stuffy for mom’s conservative taste. We returned that dress to the store and she helped me pick out a more appropriate style.

Unbeknownst to me, the reason she sewed my clothes was because we didn’t have the money to spend on store-bought clothes. She was a telephone operator working swing shift, which meant she worked three or four hours, came home and then worked another three to four, in the same day. Dad had two jobs—one as a fireman where he worked for five days and nights and then had five days off work. During those days “off,” he worked at his cousin’s moving and storage company as an estimator.

Dad didn’t buy the early 1900’s vintage Singer sewing machine for her. The person who stored it at the moving company no longer wanted it and said to use it as payment for the storage charges.

Kids today may not have someone who knows how to sew, or even if they do, there may not be enough money to buy fabric. That’s why the Assistance League of Klamath Falls began participating in Operation School Bell.

The Assistance League works closely with teachers, counselors and school administrators to identify children who would benefit from the services. With parental approval, clothes are purchased locally for the child.

Students in grades K-5 receive brand new clothing consisting of: jacket, sweat outfit, 2 pairs of jeans, 3 shirts, underwear, socks, hat, gloves, shoes certificate and hygiene kit.

Students in grades 6-12 receive a Fred Meyer clothing certificate to purchase new clothes. Besides looking great, they learn how to shop wisely.

Today’s gift was to help clothe a student. A group of neighbors and I combined our donations to give to Operation School Bell. All I can hope for is that the older kids get some help buying their clothes from their mom, which I know that I needed.

In Giving,

Robin


No comments:

Post a Comment