Saturday, September 7, 2013

Lava Lamps, Nero Jackets and Flower Power


It was Friday, December 18, 1970:
  • Richard Nixon was president.
  • People were listening to The Tears of a Clown by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles.
  • The movie, Love Story, with Ali McGraw and Ryan O’Neal was released.
  • The Twelve Chairs directed by Mel Brooks was one of the most successful movies released in 1970.
  • Sportsman of the year was Bobby Orr of the Boston Bruins.
  • People were drinking Squirt “how sweet it isn’t—the semi-soft drink.”
  • Lava lamps, Nero jackets and flower power were popular.
  • The Woodrow Wilson Flying Eagles were playing basketball against the Shady Spring Tigers. 
If you were born before 1970, you may have just taken a walk down memory lane. However, you may not recall the Flying Eagles basketball game.

I don’t remember much about the high school basketball team in 1970, except that my brother was on the team and I was strong-armed into watching him play. I was used to that because I spent my summers at the Little League baseball diamond playing on the huge mounds of dirt and eating hot dogs supposedly there to support him.

I didn’t really mind too much since he was somewhat of a celebrity—mainly because of his height. He was almost 6’4” tall in his freshman year of high school. He and the coach didn’t get along so I don’t think he played much. I cleaned out old boxes at my Mom’s house and found the basketball program from that night.

As I leafed through the yellowed pages of black and white photos, I didn’t see a picture of my brother on the team, but I did see guys that I remember including one who passed away. I looked closer and noticed a featured photo of my brother-in-law who was a graduating senior.

For today’s gift, I scanned a copy of the program and sent it to him. Won’t he be surprised when he opens it to find a picture from his glory days? I know he will smile as he reminisces about the times when he was a basketball legend.

In Giving,

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment