Sunday, September 1, 2013

Quenching Your Thirst


“Correct Change Only” was lit up on the soda machine and I had a craving for a cola.  I usually don’t carry change because it creates extra weight in my pocketbook. I scrounged through all of the nooks and crannies in my purse to find just enough. The machine gobbled up all of my coins but apparently some didn’t register so I was short . . . and without my ice cold drink. It was all because I don’t like to carry extra change. I wouldn’t have done well if I were living in West Virginia during the early 1900’s.

Back then, coal miners earned about $5 a day for their work in the underground mines. Almost all of their personal needs were met in the camp. There was a company store, where the miners and their families would buy their supplies, as well as dentist’s and doctor’s offices too. They were paid at the end of each shift and would spend most of their wages as soon as they got them. The change from their transaction was in coins called scrip. It could only be used at the company store and in other places in the camp. Unlike current times, when we may not even stop to pick up a penny, nickel or dime, every piece of script was treasured. So it occurred to me that some script or change would make me very happy right now because I was so thirsty.

I found a newsstand on the street and the vendor gave me four quarters for my paper dollar. I came back to the machine, inserted a quarter and heard change jingle in the coin return slot.

I took my cola and decided that for today’s gift, I would help someone who may be in need of some change for their drink. I left the coins in the return slot and smiled as I laughed at myself. I hope someone who needs it will get their thirst quenched, even if they didn’t have quite enough change.

In Giving,

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment