Sunday, December 29, 2013

A Helpful Elf

My friends tell me their secret to keeping their kids under control during the Christmas season is The Elf on the Shelf. Several years ago a children’s book popularized the story of an elf doll that sits on a shelf and “watches” the kids during the day. In the evening he reports to Santa about whether the kids have been naughty or nice. Then the next day the elf watches from another location in the house and reports back to Santa that evening.

It reminded me of several years ago when I wanted jewelry for Christmas. Tim was glad to have one of his most challenging gifts figured out, or so he thought. If he just accompanied me to the jewelry store, his shopping would be done.

This jewelry store wasn’t a typical storefront. It was located at the end of a long hallway and looked much like an office. Instead of display cases, it had locked cabinets lining the four sides of the room. The jewelry, each one in a beautiful box, was pulled out a piece at a time. After I tried it on, it was returned to the box, placed in the drawer and locked inside the cabinet before the next piece was brought out.

My favorite was a simple, elegant, gold necklace called an Omega. I had wanted one with a diamond pendent for a long time.  When I noticed the price tag, I knew it was much more than what Tim had planned on spending.

I told the jeweler that Tim and I needed to talk about it over lunch. Tim said to me, “Let's just go ahead and buy the necklace and a diamond pendant.”  I asked him how much he thought the necklace cost.  He whispered, “Probably, $200 or $300.”  I told him the price was actually $1,500 and that was just for the necklace! We both knew it was a bit too spendy, however, that didn’t stop me from dreaming about having an Omega necklace with a diamond pendant.

The following month we were in Vail skiing. One morning, before we hit the slopes, we walked to the grocery store from our rented condominium.  I almost stepped on something on the sidewalk.  Tim reached down and picked it up.  It was a necklace covered in mud and snow.

When we got back to the condo, I cleaned the necklace and saw just how beautiful it was. I imagined how distraught the woman who lost this gold necklace must be.  I reported it to the condo front desk and gave them my cell phone number.  I also ran an advertisement in the local paper. No one ever claimed it.

I feel like an elf placed the Omega necklace with a diamond pendant in the snow for me to find. Sometimes an unexpected surprise causes me the greatest joy. Today, I had the chance to do that for someone else, albeit on a smaller scale.

I was in the church library when a woman hurriedly came in with several empty, white grocery bags. She said that she was asked to remove the decorations and wasn’t sure she’d have time to get it all done before the next church service began. She surveyed the decorations and then quickly glanced at the clock. I immediately took the Santa Claus off of the shelf and placed it on the table. I continued by removing the garland from around the edges of the room.

Today’s gift was to help her remove the Christmas decorations. She said it was so nice to have an “Elf” who was there at the right time to help her.

I felt like a good elf and not the elf on the shelf that reports bad things to Santa. Maybe the kids would be better behaved if they knew there was a good elf watching out for them. Instead of the Elf on a Shelf, maybe it could be an Encouraging Elf to lift up those who need it.

In Giving,

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment