Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Filled with Love


Many of my holiday memories involve the scrumptious feast that was on the table for our family to enjoy. Some of the foods that were traditions when I was growing up were:

Appetizers:
Relish tray with pickled hot peppers, string beans and tiny corn
Celery stuffed with cream cheese

Salad:
Lime Jello salad
Waldorf salad

Main course:
Baked Ham
Butterball Turkey
Mashed potatoes with Nannie’s secret ingredient—cream
Turkey giblet gravy
Broccoli casserole
Brussel sprouts
Jellied cranberry sauce
Fried oysters
Plain and oyster stuffing
Broccoli casserole
Large homemade rolls

Dessert:
Various kinds of Bundt cakes
Apple spice cake
Colored sugar, decorated, Christmas cookies
Cream puffs with homemade chocolate pudding
Chocolate pie
Coconut cream pie
Pumpkin pie
Pecan pie

The dessert list could go on and on. Were there really that many desserts or did it make that big of a lasting impression on me?

For today’s gift, I made a dessert for Tim that I had never baked before. It is one that my mother usually makes for him. Since Mom lives across the country, I made a pumpkin roll for his enjoyment. Of course, it doesn’t taste the same as ones that only a loving Mother can make, but it is the thought that counts.

In Giving and Remembering Good Food,


Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment