Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Perfect Card

Have you bought a greeting card to send someone lately? Maybe it is just me, but it seems that ones that have a quote or verse on the inside that I think is appropriate for my friends and family are not easy to find. That’s one of the reasons that for the past several years, I have not sent out Christmas cards. I wonder who thinks up some of the stuff on the cards. Have you seen any of these quotes in Christmas cards?
  • Christmas is a race to see which gives out first—your money or your feet.
  • What do you call people who are afraid of Santa Claus? Claustrophobic.
  • Christmas is the season when you buy this year's gifts with next year's money.
  • Mail your packages early so the post office can lose them in time for Christmas. (Johnny Carson)
  • A lovely thing about Christmas is that it's compulsory, like a thunderstorm, and we all go through it together. (Garrison Keillor)
  • Why is Christmas just like a day at the office? You do all the work and the fat guy with the suit gets all the credit.
  • The worst gift is a fruitcake. There is only one fruitcake in the entire world, and people keep sending it to each other. (Johnny Carson)
  • I stopped believing in Santa Claus when my mother took me to see him in a department store, and he asked for my autograph. (Shirley Temple)
  • That's the true spirit of Christmas; people being helped by people other than me. (Jerry Seinfeld)
  • I once bought my kids a set of batteries for Christmas with a note on it saying, “Toys not included.” (Bernard Manning)
  • Christmas is a time when everybody wants his past forgotten and his present remembered. What I don't like about office Christmas parties is looking for a job the next day. (Phyllis Diller)
  • Let me see if I've got this Santa business straight. You say he wears a beard, has no discernible source of income and flies to cities all over the world under cover of darkness? You sure this guy isn't laundering illegal drug money? (Tom Armstrong)
This year I found Christmas cards that I thought would be appropriate. For today’s gift, I added a note on the cards and mailed them. I still have more to write and send, but this started me on a new tradition of sending Christmas cards. Regardless of whether the card has the perfect verse on the inside or not, I will make it my own by handwriting a friendly greeting and a merry Christmas wish.

In Giving,

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment