Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Joy of a Fur Coat

Many years ago I created a vision board of what I wanted in my life.  I cut photos and phrases from magazines that expressed my lifetime desires, and glued them to the board. I have accomplished many of the things, including travel to Europe, owning a house and publishing a book, among other things. One photo was of a mink coat. As a child my great grandmother had created a hope chest for me that included a faux white fox stole. Because I loved it so much I said, “When I grow up I want a fur coat.”

One time when I was visiting my friend, Kathy, I needed a warm coat to wear to an event and she loaned me one of her fur coats. I asked her to take a picture of me so that I could paste it on my vision board.

When I returned home I showed my sister-in-law, Cindy, photos of my trip. I told her that I would love to have a fur coat like the one in the picture.  Cindy said that her mother, who had passed away over 10 years before, had a beautiful mink coat.

One month later as I walked up the driveway, Cindy told me to take my winter coat off. Out of the backseat of her car she removed a garment and carefully pulled the dry cleaner plastic up to reveal her Mother’s mink coat. I ran my hands through the soft fur as she helped me try it on. It fit perfectly.

Cindy had told her father that I wanted a mink coat and that her Mother’s didn’t fit her sister or her. I was overwhelmed with emotion for the generosity from Cindy and her father. When I called to thank him, his voice cracked. I could tell that it had been a difficult decision for him to give away something that meant so much to his wife. He said that he hoped I would enjoy it as much as she did.

I was thinking of the joy he and Cindy gave me when I gave today’s gift of uploading photos to the Winter Wings Festival website. I envisioned the joy others would receive from looking at the photos. People who look at the website may not enjoy the warmth of wearing a fur coat, but they can experience the joy of looking at great bird photos.

In Giving Joy to Others,


Robin


No comments:

Post a Comment