Wednesday, December 11, 2013

What’s Inside

The Christmas wrapping paper had been tucked away in a box in the garage since last year.  As I took the roll out of the box, greeting cards fell to the floor. Tim and I kept our favorite ones sent to us from friends and family. I took them out of their original envelopes and read the handwritten messages. The words were inspirational, uplifting and sometimes humorous. In ways it reminded me of opening the card when I first received it, which gave me a renewed sense of wonderment and curiosity of the contents of the white envelopes.

When receiving mail, there is a sense of excitement for what is hidden inside the envelope.  When I was a kid a handwritten note wrapped inside a package was sometimes used as a bribe so my mother could have just a few moments of peace. She said that I was a great kid until I learned how to talk, which I learned a lot about from my Chatty Cathy doll.

The Chatty Cathy doll wore a red and green plaid skirt held up with suspenders and was almost as tall as me. She came with her own school desk and blackboard. By pulling a string in her back she spoke 18 phrases like, “I love you” and “Let’s play school.” In the first grade I quickly learned that acting like Chatty Cathy was not good. The overuse of my vocal chords resulted in me spending a lot of time in the hallway.

After many trips to the principal’s office, I didn’t want to go to school. My mother knew the way to a girl’s heart was through gifts. So, each day she would wrap a present for me in a piece of aluminum foil. I remember a ring in a little plastic box from the bubble gum machine, a candy bracelet, and a new ponytail holder. When I opened the present I would look for the handwritten note that she would put inside the aluminum foil. It may have said, “I’m proud of you,” “I appreciate you,” or “You are my favorite child.” Well, I may have imagined the last one.

I thought about the warm feeling when I opened the note and wanted to pass that on. Military service people who are away from their friends and families during the holidays need to know their work is appreciated.

Today’s gift was to write a letter to someone in the military. I wrote,
“I am thankful for the sacrifices you and your family have made to protect our country. My father, who recently passed away, was a military policeman in Korea. I didn’t realize until the last few months of his life what an emotional toll it took on him.” I placed my letter in the mailbox at Home Depot on top of about 50 others. I’m sure what’s written inside all of those plain white envelopes would warm my heart. I hope it does that and more for our military service people.

In Giving,


Robin


No comments:

Post a Comment