Tuesday, December 24, 2013

I Won’t Hold It Against You

The homeless man walked into the church sanctuary while it was filling with people for the worship service. Only 3 people out of the 7,000 in attendance said hello to him.

He asked people for change to buy food, but no one gave him any money. He sat in the front of the church, but was asked by the ushers to move to the back. When he tried to start a conversation, people stared at him and gave him dirty looks. He felt like people were looking down on him and judging him.
After the announcements were made, the elders excitedly introduced the new pastor of the church to the congregation.
“We would like to introduce to you Pastor Jeremiah Steepek.” The congregation looked around clapping with joy and anticipation.
The homeless man sitting in the back stood up and started walking down the aisle. The clapping stopped with all eyes on him.
He walked up to the altar and took the microphone from the elders. Then they realized that Pastor Jeremiah Steepek had transformed himself into a homeless person before he was introduced as the head pastor of this mega church.
 He paused for a moment then recited,
“Then the King will say to those on his right, Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.
For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
‘The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
After he recited this, he told them about his experiences. Many began to cry with heads bowed in shame.
He then said, “Today I see a gathering of people, not a church of Jesus Christ. The world has enough people, but not enough disciples. When will YOU decide to become disciples?”
He then dismissed the congregation.
Tim and I walked into the Christmas Eve service at church this evening and a developmentally disabled young man made a mad dash to greet us. He excitedly began talking about his cat’s birthday and the present he bought for it. I tried to stay focused as I saw people walk past that I hadn’t seen in a long time and that I wanted to greet and wish merry Christmas.
Then he said he didn’t have a ride home after church. My first thought was that the fog was so thick outside that we had trouble seeing the road. If we offered him a ride home we would be driving about 20 minutes out of our way in horrible weather conditions. As inconvenient as it was, I want to be the type of person that goes out of her way to help someone in need.
Today’s gift was to give him a ride home after church. I managed to keep my sense of humor as we took what seemed to be the longest way possible to his house. We meandered down numerous streets because he didn’t want to be too directive in telling us to where to turn, even though it would have been the shortest distance. Then when Tim said we took the long way around he said, “I won’t hold it against you.” Tim was relieved . . .
In Giving,

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment