Monday, January 20, 2014

Don’t Let a Thief Steal Your Passion

Recently a friend told me that her love of taking photographs diminished after her camera was stolen. She had a nice single lens reflex (SLR) camera with an expensive telephotos lens. Because she didn’t want to buy another costly camera that may get stolen again, she bought an inexpensive one to take photos of her grandchildren. It is a shame that a thief not only stole her camera but stole her passion too. As she told her story, I remembered something that I hadn’t thought of for many years.

In 1979, I was in my junior year of the interior design program at West Virginia University. My teachers wanted us to experience the furniture industry first-hand and arranged a trip to Atlanta, Georgia. The itinerary included touring factories, attending a furniture show and participating in workshops about fibers in fabric and carpet.

Twenty of us boarded a bus in Morgantown, WV for a twelve-hour trip. There was constant chatter about peach daiquiris in the revolving restaurant at the top of the Peachtree Plaza, touring Underground Atlanta and enjoying the carnival rides at Stone Mountain. I was the unofficial photographer because I had a really nice SLR camera. I was taking a photography class and had rented a camera from the bookstore.

Each day was exhausting, but also exhilarating as we visited furniture showrooms and manufacturers. There was no shortage of fun, either. Our final event was the luncheon awards ceremony before boarding the bus to return to school. We checked out and put our luggage into our chaperone’s hotel room where each of us carefully staked our claim to a small spot. I didn’t take my camera to lunch with me because I thought it would be safer in the room.

When we returned to the room to collect our belongings, my camera was not where I had put it. We frantically looked for it and checked to see if any of their items had been stolen. Nothing was missing, except my camera. I didn’t start crying until I got on the bus. Then my mind started racing through worst-case scenarios.

I would have to withdraw from my favorite class and possibly fail, if the withdrawal period had ended. Even scarier was thinking about what my father would say. I knew my parents didn’t have the money to pay the bookstore for the camera. By the time we got back to school, as only a teenage girl can reason, I had pretty much resigned myself to my fate—my life was certainly over.

Although when I told Dad, he wasn’t mad. Mom was just sad that my trip had been ruined. Dad called the insurance company who covered the replacement cost and got me a new rental from the bookstore. Since then I have owned several SLR cameras. I am so glad that a thief didn’t steal my passion.

Today’s gift was to give away two computer printers that are especially good for printing photographs. I hope the person receiving them has a passion like I had in college—and never got stolen.

In Giving,


Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment