Friday, January 17, 2014

Fly with the Birds


When I come back to the earth
I want to be outfitted with a big girth
To be able to soar above the mountains and plains
While gliding over lakes and various terrains

I’m not picky about what kind of bird that I wish to be
I will sing my song and scream, Yippee!
Because I know that if I’m large
Then I will be in charge

Today I looked longingly towards the sky
As birds of prey caught thermals to fly
Higher and higher they did soar
With barely a flap of their wings they do explore

No matter how many times I see a bald eagle perched on a limb
It takes my breath as their piercing eyes glare over the canyon rim
It is a miracle from being almost extinct more than 40 years ago
To seeing dozens at a time, as their numbers continue to grow

Owls, hawks, eagles are all so magnificent
While a white pelican gliding is ever so efficient
After skimming barely above the water surface
It lands like a ballerina with nothing superfluous

When I am a bird I will enjoy a birds-eye view
From high above the land I’ll catch thermals too
With great speed I’ll dive into the water just like an Osprey
And the prize of a huge fish is mine to take away

Ah, yes, when I am able to fly with the birds of prey
And sing their lovely songs everyday
I’ll look down on those that stare longingly towards the sky
Wishing they too were a bird and one day could fly

Today’s gift was to write this poem for the Winter Wings Festival. It may be used in the photo contest calendar that is being created from the winning pictures. It may be the people who come or it may be the birds we see that make my spirit soar like an eagle.

In Giving,

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment