Thursday, January 9, 2014

Free Speech

At the peak of the professional speaking business, life was good for those of us in that industry. However, it took a dramatic turn after 911 when companies stopped having as many meetings and smaller numbers of people attended national conferences resulting in fewer speakers being hired. Many of us have good memories as we reminisce about the good ole’ days.

One of my favorite gigs was speaking for a property management company at their end-of-year marketing meetings. They owned factory outlet stores throughout the United States in resort areas. I was hired to crisscross the country for two months giving the company’s employees recognition for their good work.

Some of the places I travelled to speak were: Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, the Boardwalk in New Jersey, the Rhode Island seashore, the Rockies, Utah mountains and the Oregon coast. Two experiences were very special and will always be memorable.

One meeting was held on a train as it twisted along the Connecticut River. I positioned myself so that I would be facing the direction the train was travelling and hopefully avoid motion sickness. Adding to the challenge, I had a sprained ankle so I had a bar stool to grab if the ride became bumpy. Little did I know that the train would reverse directions at the midpoint to return back to the start. The barstool was a lifesaver more than once. All in all it was a delightful experience.

The other speaking adventure was travelling to the Oregon coast. My plane arrived in Portland, Oregon, in the pouring rain. I then had to rent a car and drive 90 miles on two-lane road through drizzle and fog. By Lincoln City, I was tired; wondering if I had been crazy when I agreed to this exhausting travel schedule.

Just a little further down Highway 101, I turned onto a one-lane road to the Salishan Resort. The front desk clerk directed me to my cottage. As I parked the car in front, I saw the golf course with the ocean waves crashing on the shore on the other side of the perfectly manicured golf green. I opened the front door and heard the crackling of the fire in the fireplace. A chair with a beautiful afghan was situated next to the hearth and a teapot of hot water with various flavors of teas was on the sideboard. As I turned around, imagine my surprise as I saw the bed covered with presents! For a minute, I thought I must be in someone else’s room.

The next morning I was amazed at the venue where I would be speaking. It had floor to ceiling windows with the ocean crashing just feet away onto the sandy beach. The audience was a really fun group. When the meeting planner handed me the check for my fee, I almost wanted to say, “Oh no, keep it. I should be paying you for this experience.” At that time I hoped that I would get to show my appreciation someday and give something back to the gracious Oregonians.

Today’s gift was to give away a free speech for an Oregon Society for Human Resource Management Association chapter. It is a blessing to return the favor.

In Giving,


Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment