Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Letter Restrictions on Fruit

Every Christmas for the past 23 years a gift has been delivered to our doorstep from our friend, Michael. The box is 13 inches long x 10 inches wide x 3 inches high and weighs five pounds with a label indicating that it was shipped from Harry and David. It contains famous Oregon Royal Riviera Pears.

This gift has found us everywhere we’ve lived: Salt Lake City, West Virginia and now Oregon. The box of pears ripens on the counter after about three to five days. My mouth waters every time I pass by. Each day, I gently press my finger next to the stem checking if today is the day that they will finally be ripe enough to eat.

When I asked Michael if he sends pears to all of his friends, he said yes but that he did have one problem recipient. This person does not like fruit that begins with, or contains, the letter “P” in its name. To help Michael determine what to send, I brainstormed a list of fruits for him to consider.
  • Mango
  • Berries
  • Banana
  • Guava
  • Kiwi
  • Orange
  • Watermelon
  • Currant
  • Honeydew
  • Avocado
Did I miss any? And then I looked to see if Harry and David sold any of these. Voila! They have oranges. I solved his gift-giving dilemma for next Christmas.

Today’s gift was to send these same delicious pears to one of my clients. I thought he could use something that tastes like summer to help him endure the current frigid, snowy Midwest. Hopefully, he doesn’t have any letter restrictions on the fruits he will eat.

In Giving,


Robin


No comments:

Post a Comment