Sunday, January 19, 2014

Just When I Thought I Didn’t Have Anything Else to Give

On July 15, 2013 I challenged myself to give something away every day for one year and blog about it. I wrote the criteria that I would follow. One stipulation was that when I gave something away it had to be meaningful to me, not an item that I was just going to throw away anyway. Today I was challenged to give more of something that I didn’t think I had.

One of my childhood friends posted on Facebook an appeal for some women in my hometown in West Virginia. The local HIV agency is doing a clothing drive for four women who are desperately in need of business and personal attire. Having been infected with HIV by their cheating husbands (ex-husbands now), they are seeking jobs and need help. The post said, “We need everything a working girl would need: purses, wallets, jewelry, coats, stockings, whatever.”

When I saw this post I knew I was going to have to give away clothes  that I had previously decided I should keep. As I got ready for church this morning, I was trying to decide which of my jackets to wear with my choices of pants. And then I thought of these women who don’t even have one business jacket or nice pair of pants.

Over the last year and a half I created a system where I put a tag on the coat hanger of items that I didn’t wear that season. When I wore an item I took the tag off. At the end of the season, I moved my summer clothes to the front closet and my winter clothes to my bedroom closet. Anything that still had a tag on it, I delivered to Goodwill last month.

So, I found a beautiful dress and matching coat that barely have the price tags off of them, that I have never worn, even though I’ve had them for a few years. I also found more dresses, skirts and shoes. I have a stockpile of Clinique makeup that comes as a “free” gift that has never been opened.

Today’s gift was to put these clothes in a box to take to the post office. It felt really good to dig deep even when I thought I didn’t have anything else to give.

In Giving,


Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment