Friday, May 16, 2014

Attraction to Books

Ever since I started reading about Dick, Jane and their dog, Spot, I have been attracted to books. When I was in the sixth grade, an entire series was written about Pippi, a young red haired girl with pigtails who was always getting herself into laughable predicaments. When I had saved up enough of my allowance money, I bought the affordable soft cover books. As soon as it arrived, I would shut my door, curl up on my bed underneath posters of Donny Osmond, Bobby Goldsboro and David Cassidy and savor every page. My mother would have to call me multiple times for dinner.

For the expensive hardback books I went to the city library and checked out Nancy Drew mysteries. I also liked to read books about horses like Black Beauty and donkeys like Brighty of the Grand Canyon. When school started in the fall, I would get a sticker for the number of books that I read over the summer.

I still love books, which was mentioned by our packers the last time we moved. We have slowly been discarding ones that have thick dust on the covers and tops of the pages, which is a pretty good indication that we haven’t opened them in a long time.

Today’s gift was to take a box of these old books to the library. Although my favorite childhood books are long gone, some of our books have been moved from one location to another since 1980. My college textbooks are still used in interior design classes today, albeit an updated version, but the principles are still the same. I’m sure some budding young interior designer will marvel at this prize when they find it in the little Klamath Falls Library. My attraction to books will help them learn, plus it will help reduce our future moving costs.

In Giving,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment