Sunday, May 11, 2014

Demon of Cancer


In the 1950’s and 60’s, my childhood was much different than today. Some of the fun moments I remember are:
  • Playing Kick the Can in my next-door neighbor’s yard until it was too dark to even see the can, let alone kick it.
  • Coming home after grocery shopping and seeing the neighborhood kids playing Four Square. My long face would brighten, I would jump out of the car and stand in line to rotate into the square.
  • Jumping out of bed on a summer morning and calling one of my friends to ride bikes or roller skate.
  • As soon as the snow began falling, my brother and I would sit in front of the living room picture window and watch the road ice over. Then we would pull our Flexible Flyer, metal runner, wooden sleds up the hill and sleigh ride down. Then, other neighborhood kids would join us. Although we would have icicles hanging from our hats and noses, we didn’t want to come in. But Mom would bribe us. We couldn’t resist hot chocolate with marshmallows on top.
In my neighborhood, about 20 kids grew up playing together. For the past five years, one of these childhood friends has fought a battle with lung, liver and brain cancer. It is very close to winning the war. Her parents were in the medical profession and have helped so many people, but unfortunately are helpless in saving their own daughter.

Today’s gift was to send my friend’s mother and father a card to tell them I appreciated what they both did to keep us healthy during our childhood. I wrote to remind them how much good they have done for so many. I look forward to the day that there is a cure for cancer and we won’t have that demon needlessly claiming so many lives.

In Giving,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment