Friday, May 9, 2014

Is it Safe to Stay There?


Sometimes hotel guests ask unusual questions:
 
(A guest calls down to the front desk.)
Guest: “Hi. Yeah, umm. How do I get the microwave in the room working?”
Me: “Sorry, Mrs. [Name], but we don’t have any microwaves in the room.”
Guest: “Yes, you do. It’s on the 2nd shelf of the closet, has a digital screen and my frozen pizza in it, but it won’t start.”
Me: “Madam is this microwave black and with a thick steel door?”
Guest: “Yes.”
Me: “That is not a microwave, but the in-room safe, Mrs. [Name].”
Guest: “Oh!” *obviously embarrassed* “That explains why there was a power outlet on the inside…Thank you.” *click*

(I’m the night auditor at a small hotel. It’s four am, and a thunderstorm is passing through the area. The phone at the front desk rings.)
Me: “Front desk. How can I help you?”
Caller: “What was that loud noise that woke me up?”
Me: “There’s a thunderstorm going through the area right now.”
Caller: “Can you make it stop?”
Me: “Ma’am, if I could control the weather, I would rule the world.”

 (I’m new, and I have just finished helping a guest with directions to his room. He disappears into the elevator, and after a few minutes, returns.)
Guest: “That elevator is BROKEN!”
Me: “Huh? What do you mean, sir?”
Guest: “I mean, I went in there, pressed the button for my floor, and the elevator went to my floor but the DOORS didn’t OPEN!”
Me: “Did you turn around?”
Guest: “Turn around?!”
Me: “Yes. The doors open behind you.”
(The guest stares at me, and then disappears back into the elevator. He doesn’t return.)

None of these things happened at my hotel but something did surprise me. Typically, I stay in a big name brand hotel in a large city because the location is more convenient and it feels safer. In Denver, however, I chose a Residence Inn that had very good reviews. Overall, my hotel stay exceeded my expectations.

Today’s gift was to write a review for the Residence Inn. I said that the hotel staff was courteous and thanked them for a complimentary upgrade in a very nice, remodeled suite. It was a convenient walk downtown to the 16th Street Mall. Best of all it was safe to stay there and I didn’t try to use my safe as a microwave oven!

In Giving,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment