Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Remembering and Not Forgetting


In 1967 what would an eighth grader have included in a letter to the future? Probably the Vietnam War, miniskirts and space travel. Forty-seven years ago, in Farmington, New Mexico, eighth graders wrote letters to the class of 1987. 
Lola Delaney, the school's librarian, recently found the letters while cleaning the school's library. 

·      Many of the letters describe miniskirts that were two inches above the knee. One went on to say that area schools banned miniskirts as well as hair curlers. It included an article from The Daily Times about Bloomfield High School's dress code, which stated “girls were not allowed to wear pants.”
·      There was an advertisement for a Corvette that only cost $2,000.
·      Several students wrote about the culture and current events, including the assassination of President John F. Kennedy on Nov. 22, 1963. They speculated about the legacy they thought he would leave behind.
·      Another common theme was war. Many students included articles and pictures from the Vietnam War. "This year the Viet Nam [sic] War is in full swing," Debbie Boyd wrote in her letter. "Although we have not officially declared war, our boys are fighting to keep freedom alive. Freedom is a special thing.”
·      Others, like Gene Bridgford, wrote about the civil rights movement in the 1950s and 1960s.
·      "The Beatles were the top singing group for about three years and I don't even know if you have ever heard of them," one student wrote. He added that other groups like The Rolling Stones, The Byrds and The Yardbirds had a "really groovy sound."
·      One student wrote that the truck workers were on strike. "We don't know what is going to come of it, but we hope it will be cleared up soon," he wrote. "We've been getting calls on the telephone all day from men who want to know if they are going to be working or not. The Teamsterss [sic] Union is the one that has gone on strike for higher wages I guess. It's all kind of mixed up right now."

It would be fun if I had written a letter to myself in 1967. I thought that I would always remember what life was like. Currently, I have a fairly good memory and hope that I will stay sharp into old age, but most of my father’s side of the family has been stricken with Alzheimer’s disease. 

Today’s gift was to write a check to the Alzheimer’s Association to support their research for a cure. I am writing down more life events so that I will remember if I forget my experiences. And I hope that my donation helps a cure to be found for this terrible disease so I will have more memories than just my notes.

In Giving,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment