Tuesday, May 13, 2014

It’s My Job to be Better Than The Rest

In the middle of late last night I was sittin' on a curb
I didn't know what about but I was feeling quite disturbed
A street sweeper came whistlin' by, he was bouncin' every step
It seemed strange how good he felt
So I asked him while he swept
He said, "It's my job to be cleaning up this mess
And that's enough reason to go for me
It's my job to be better than the rest
And that makes the day for me."
 Jimmy Buffet

Some people can make being a street sweeper or janitor fun. At Disney, the custodians are especially creative with their job. As they are cleaning up, they draw pictures of Disney characters with water for guests to enjoy. They even have "drawing battles" and let the crowd decide who wins.

Although water can be fun at Disney, it isn’t welcome when it gets my morning newspaper wet. My newspaper delivery person takes pride in keeping my paper dry by putting it in plastic sleeves. Buying the sleeves, however, is the responsibility of the carrier.

Today’s gift was to bundle all of the plastic newspaper wrappers I have saved and place them in the driveway to be picked up by the carrier when the paper is delivered. Like the Disney custodians, my newspaper carrier seems dedicated to her job. I can almost hear her  sing, “it’s my job to be better than the rest and that makes the day for me.”

In Giving,
Robin



No comments:

Post a Comment