Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Speedy, the Not So Speedy Dog


Checking into an upscale hotel I noticed a brown Labrador retriever standing outside the glass entry door gazing inside. I smiled and asked the front desk attendant if he was the “block dog.” She said, “His name is Speedy and he lives upstairs. Would you please let him in?”

I opened the door. He lumbered in, paused long enough for me to pat him on the head and then stretched out on the huge Oriental rug underneath the round wooden table with fresh flowers. She told me that the owners had installed the automatic revolving glass door so that Speedy could let himself in and out. But Speedy would rather have a butler open the door for him.

I asked where he had been. She said he usually hangs around for breakfast and then spends the day in town. His usual hangout is Starbucks. Then he returns home in time for dinner.

Speedy stood beside me as I pushed the button for the elevator to take me to my fourth floor room. She said that he would probably join me on the elevator. So, when I exit on the fourth floor would I please push the button for the fifth floor so that Speedy can go home? Speedy was a gentleman and let me load my luggage in the elevator before he plodded in and laid down in the corner. The doors opened on the fourth floor, but Speedy didn’t budge.

Today’s gift was to push the fifth floor button to send Speedy home. The doors closed and I watched the number five light up on the elevator panel.

When I entered my room the phone was ringing. Speedy didn’t make it home. I asked if there was anything I could do and she said sometimes he just likes to ride the elevator. Sure enough, after a few more elevator trips Speedy smelled his dinner and got off the elevator. Speedy didn’t set any speed records getting home tonight, but at least he is safely in bed with a full stomach.

In Giving,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment