Friday, June 27, 2014

A Zen Lesson



A senior monk and a junior monk were traveling together. They came to a river with a strong current. As the monks were preparing to cross the river, they saw a very young and beautiful woman also attempting to cross. The young woman asked if they would help her to the other side.

The two monks glanced at one another because they had taken vows not to touch a woman. Then, without a word, the older monk picked up the woman, carried her across the river, placed her gently on the other side and continued his journey.

The younger monk couldn’t believe what had just happened. After rejoining his companion, he was speechless. An hour passed without a word between them. Two more hours passed, then three. Finally the younger monk couldn’t contain himself any longer and blurted out, “As monks, we are not permitted to touch a woman, how could you carry that woman on your shoulders?”

The older monk looked at him and replied, “Brother, I put her down on the other side of the river, why are you still carrying her?”

This story reminded me of my childhood memories. Looking through a photo album, I saw some old photos of the time Tommy pulled my ponytail; when Susan, my best friend, got mad at me; and getting caught for talking and having to stand in the hallway in the first grade. At the time those things seemed like a big deal, but were really just part of growing up. I let them go many years ago.

Today’s gift was to post a picture of my kindergarten class on Facebook and identify the people whom I recognized. Other classmates chimed in and guessed the names. I had great fun reconnecting with people I haven’t heard from in years. It took a Zen Lesson for me to reconnect with the feeling of being young and carefree in my childhood.

In Giving,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment