Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Two Truths and One Lie


Let’s play the game, “Two Truths and One Lie.” From the three things below try to guess which one is the lie. No peeking at the correct answers.
 
1.   I almost flunked out of college.
2.   I appeared on the television show Touched By An Angel.
3.   I am an accomplished singer.

In junior high I decided that I wanted to be an interior designer when I grew up. My great uncle was my inspiration. He worked in the design department for a large department store in Columbus, Ohio. When it was time for me to select a college, I planned to attend West Virginia University (WVU), but my high school guidance counselor said they did not have an interior design program.

My alternative seemed to be a pretty good option. My Aunt Mickey and Uncle Bill, who lived in Knoxville, Tennessee, were both private airplane pilots. Aunt Mickey had flown in the Powder Puff Derby and Uncle Bill had logged thousands of hours so I could fly home with either of them on weekends.

The University of Tennessee (UT) interior design program was a very competitive program. Aunt Mickey said she would arrange an interview with the Department Chair. After a grueling interview, I was accepted. Most of my friends were going to WVU, however, I didn’t want to give up on my dream. But after registering for classes, paying for my room and board at UT, I got cold feet.

One week before I was to leave for school, I saw one of my older brother’s friends. She told me about her job at the local interior design firm. I asked where she had gotten her degree. She said, “WVU!” I was thrilled and couldn’t wait to tell Mom and Dad. They weren’t as excited about my wanting to change plans. I had no idea of the challenges that I was about to face.

Pulling me out of UT one week before school started meant the deposit money would not be refunded. Then there were extra fees for late registration at WVU. The dormitory had no rooms and I was put in a study lounge. I also got classes that were the least desirable. I struggled mightily that first semester. Since I was often homesick, driving home 3 ½ hours each way every weekend did not help my studies either.

Christmas break that year was very disappointing. My grades came in at 1.80 out of 4.00 points! WVU put me on academic probation. If I didn’t achieve a 3.20 the next semester, I would flunk out. The next semester I got better classes and I didn’t go home every weekend. I got a 3.40! Three years later, I received my degree in Interior Design. So, number 1 is true.

I appeared on the television show Touched By An Angel two times when I lived in Salt Lake City. I got to appear with Rue McLanahan and Della Reese. So, number 2 is also true.

Since those are the two truths, the lie is that I am an accomplished singer. In college when my roommates played guitar and sang, they’d beg me not to sing. Well, that may be somewhat of an exaggeration, but my singing was more than a little off key.

Today’s gift was a donation to support the interior design program at WVU. Another truth is that I have had good opportunities in life because of a well-rounded education. That bachelors degree also helped me to earn my masters degree over 10 years later.

In Giving,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment