Thursday, June 5, 2014

Feel Younger


When someone recommends a book, I download a sample in my Nook. If it interests me, I may purchase it after I finish the one I’m reading. Although, right now I have several books that I’m reading at the same time.

In the morning when my mind is sharp, I read the Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself. It describes how to have endless amounts of energy by letting go of things that are troubling or distracting. It is daily practice of recognizing worry, fear or stress and then letting it go.

The book that I am reading for fun is Upstairs at the White House: My Life with the First Ladies. J. B. West, the author, kept a diary during the 28 years that he was chief usher at the White House. He directed the operations and maintenance during the presidency of Eisenhower, Truman, Roosevelt, Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon. He worked very closely with the First Ladies and his insight into their personalities is really fascinating.

In the leadership class that I am teaching, the textbook is Primal Leadership: Unleashing the Power of Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman. It illustrates the power, and the necessity, of leaders who are self-aware, empathetic, motivating, and collaborative.

Last month, my former college roommate suggested a book to me that I put on my reading list. Then today I heard an interview with the author on the National Speaker’s Association monthly audio recording. The book is Younger Next Year: Live Strong, Fit, and Sexy—Until You’re 80 and Beyond written by 73-year-old Chris Crowley and a prominent internist, Dr. Henry "Harry" Lodge. They show us how to turn back our biological clocks by putting off 70% of the normal problems of aging like weakness, sore joints, bad balance and eliminating 50% of serious illness and injury. The key to the program is found in Harry's Seven Rules. Three of which are exercise six days a week, don't eat crap and connect and commit to others. Chris Crowley is living proof of their effectiveness. He says he skis better today than he did twenty years ago.

Today’s gift was to order, the audio version of Younger Next Year from Amazon on the www.amazonsmile.com website. I selected the local theater company, Ross Ragland Theater as the charity to give a percentage of the cost. As I exercise and feel younger tomorrow, I will have the energy to attend performances at the local theater!

In Giving,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment