Monday, June 16, 2014

Because of You


If you think the world is chaotic now, check out a few of these events that occurred in the early 1970’s:
  • After the invasion of Cambodia in 1970 there were massive demonstrations on college campuses, most tragically at Kent State University where members of the Ohio National Guard killed four students.
  • An earthquake killed more than 50,000 people in Peru.
  • Over 500,000 military personnel were fighting in the Viet Nam war. They had been fighting for many years, but the younger generation was tired of it and demanding peace. President Nixon ordered troops to be withdrawn, however it was short-lived because both sides were accused of violating the cease-fire agreement.
  • 12,000 anti-war militants were arrested in Washington DC in one demonstration. Over the next several years demonstrations attracted more than 200,000 protestors in Washington, London and other European capital cities.
Maybe these events are why Carole King felt inspired to write this song:

You’ve Got a Friend

When you're down in troubles
And you need some love and care
And nothing, nothing is going right
Close your eyes and think of me
And soon I will be there
To brighten up even your darkest night

You just call out my name
And you know wherever I am
I'll come running to see you again
Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you got to do is call
And I'll be there
Yes I will
You've got a friend

If the sky above you
Grows dark and full of clouds
And that old north wind begins to blow
Keep your head together
And call my name out loud
Soon you'll hear me knocking at your door

You just call out my name
And you know wherever I am
I'll come running to see you again
Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you have to do is call
And I'll be there
Ain't it good to know that you've got a friend

When people can be so cold
They'll hurt you and desert you
And take your soul if you let them
Oh, but don't you let them

You just call out my name
And you know wherever I am
I'll come running to see you again
Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you have to do is call
And I'll be there
You've got a friend

One of my mother’s friends often lifts mom’s spirits by sending her cards, inspirational books as well as calling her. Today’s gift was to mail my mother’s friend a box of “Because of You” cards. Each card has a saying like:
  • “We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” Winston Churchill
  • “May happiness touch your life today as warmly as you’ve touched the lives of others.” Rebecca Forsythe
Each card will be a reminder that because of her other people’s spirits are lifted.

In Giving,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment