Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Dreaded Dadaw


Greeting cards seem to be a casualty of the digital online world. Instead of receiving Christmas or birthday cards, my friends are sending greetings on social media. I still like to open a piece of mail, however, with a handwritten envelope, especially when I recognize it being from a loved one.

Tim’s father almost always made sure to send a card before the holiday. We were never sure if we would get a sympathy card on our birthday or a “sorry you lost your pet” on Christmas. He would make the effort to cross through the incorrect greeting and write on it, “Happy Birthday” or “Merry Christmas.” And some times it was even a re-gifted card that someone had sent him that he reused. I think he knew that we would get a laugh out of it, so he continued the tradition. We missed that this last Christmas.

A memorable greeting card story was one year when we were vacationing with Tim’s sister and her husband. We had purchased birthday cards to be sure we got them in the mail on time for his dad’s birthday. Tim carefully crafted the note on a piece of paper that he would write inside the card. Sitting by the pool, he transcribed the heartfelt message inside the card. And then the unthinkable happened—he misspelled a word! He screamed, “Dad—aw man, I made a mistake.” From that day forward anytime we make a mistake with an ink pen it is called a “dadaw.”

I keep my favorite birthday and Christmas cards. When I clean out the closet, I save the handwritten note and put the card into the recycle bin. Until today . . .

I discovered that St. Jude’s Ranch for Children in Nevada recycles used greeting cards. The children at the ranch make the new “green” cards by removing the front and attaching a new back. The result is a beautiful new card. The recycled cards are sold to support their programs and services for abused, neglected and homeless children, young adults and families. The children at St. Jude’s Ranch receive payment for their work, learn basic job skills and the importance of recycling.

Today’s gift was to mail my greeting cards to St. Judes. So, now it doesn’t matter if I made a dadaw or not, because it can still be refurbished and reused by St. Judes.

In Giving,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment