Monday, June 30, 2014

Speaking of Joy and Inspiration


This was the first day of the National Speakers Association Convention that is being broadcast on the Internet. Scott McKain, one of the speakers, asked the audience to make a list of our favorite speakers. One whose name was mentioned by several people was Mark Mayfield. I remembered hearing him tell this story:

Mark talks about finding the humor in a situation to help us work through the pain. He said that sometimes it is hard to find humor. Tim and I had an experience at 4:30 this morning that was no laughing matter. When the pain subsided, however, I found myself laughing hysterically.

It all started when I turned the fan on when I went to bed to cool off the bedroom. At 4:30 a.m. I traipsed across the bedroom to the bathroom. As I walked through the bathroom door, Tim and I crashed into each other and bounced backwards like bumper cars. I had been half asleep and this was a rude awakening! The fan must have drowned out the sound of either of us getting up. Yes, there was blood shed, although his toes had more cuts than mine. He went back to sleep, but I couldn’t stop laughing. I learned this trait from my mother who laughs at herself.

People who have suffered tragedies may have a difficult time finding something to laugh about. I have friends who are professional speakers that have suffered losses or serious physical illnesses but still are able to deliver eloquent and entertaining speeches to inspire people.

Today’s gift was to send a card and a handwritten note to a friend who is struggling. A short while ago she lost someone very special to her in a terrible accident. Nothing can bring her loved one back, but having people tell her that they are thinking of her may bring a little joy and inspiration back into her life.

In Giving,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment