Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A Bucket Full

Perched on top of my head was my Santa Claus hat. Over my red coat I was wearing a red apron emblazoned with the slogan, “I am a bell ringer.” The volunteer job seemed easy enough—just say Merry Christmas to everyone who walked past me.

My Salvation Army Red Kettle training was brief. I would be working at the local department store for my two-hour shift. I’m not sure if the explanation about the bucket locking mechanism was meant to deter me from taking off to Mexico with the treasure or so I could rest assured that the bucket was safe from thieves.

It seemed as if I had green spinach stuck between my teeth or something hanging from my nose because the passersby’s shoes seemed really interesting to them. Almost as much as the nonexistent spot on the floor in front of them.

I challenged myself to say something to make them look me in the eye. I would compliment them on their coat, hat, gloves or even their screaming child or mangy pooch. Sometimes their gaze would move from their shoes to mine, but rarely did they make eye contact with me, let alone deposit money into the bucket. Even people I knew seemed to have amnesia!

I daydreamed that someone would put a gift in the bucket like some of the others I had heard about:
·      A mysterious gold coin had been anonymously dropped in the bucket in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania every year since 1996, totaling almost $10,000 over the years.
·      A Wisconsin bell ringer found a gold coin in his red kettle valued at $1,600.
·      In a kettle in Miami a diamond and sapphire ring was wrapped in a $50 bill with a note inside: "They need more than I. Do good! A Friend."

Today’s gift was to put a donation in the little red bucket, look the bell ringer in the eye and thank him for volunteering his time. May others be inspired to give money, smile at Santa’s helper and wish them a Merry Christmas.
In Giving and Ringing in the Season,

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment