Monday, November 25, 2013

Making People Like You

The book describes the six rules to make people like you:
  1. Become genuinely interested in other people.
  2. Smile.
  3. Remember that a man’s name is to him the sweetest and most important sound in any language.
  4. Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves.
  5. Talk in terms of the other man’s interests.
  6. Make the other person feel important—and do it sincerely.

Over 15 million copies of this book have been sold since the 1936 copyright. My copy of the book is well worn with corners turned down and yellowed pages with notes in the margins. The jacket cover has torn edges and the title, printed in yellow, is barely discernible. The author’s black and white photo stretches to the torn edges.

Warren Buffet described the book as the most helpful self-help book of all time. I pulled the book off my shelf when I realized that the writer was born 125 years ago today. As I glanced through it I realized that I might not be following some of the rules that were written in the book.

For today’s gift, I called a friend that I had not spoken to in a long time. She had left several voice mail messages. I had been waiting for an opportunity where I would have plenty of time to catch up with her, and it never seemed to happen. She did not judge me for being out of touch.

Now that I have the book pulled off the shelf, I am amazed at the concepts that are still applicable today. I think I should read it again. In case you haven’t figured it out, the author is Dale Carnegie and the name of the book is How to Win Friends and Influence People.

In Giving and Being a Good Friend,


Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment