Monday, November 4, 2013

The Triage Dilemma

Imagine that you are working alone in the emergency room of a hospital. Three people need your immediate help:
  • An 85-year-old grandmother who is experiencing heart pain
  • A 35-year-old illegal alien who has been hit by a car
  • A 14-year-old who has been stabbed in gang-related violence

Based only on this information which person would you help first, second and third? The triage would determine the priority of patients' treatments based on the severity of their condition:
  • Those who are likely to live, regardless of what care they receive;
  • Those who are likely to die, regardless of what care they receive;
  • Those for whom immediate care might make a positive difference in the outcome

What if I told you that the grandmother smuggled illegal drugs into the United States and sold them to small children, the 14-year-old was an innocent bystander and the illegal alien donated a kidney to a little girl who would have lost her life? Does that cause a shift in your paradigm?

For today’s gift, I was not responsible for a life and death decision about someone else’s life; however, as I gave the gift of advice to a friend who is contemplating a career move, I realized that it could have a significant impact on this person’s well being. I think my counsel was balanced, since I have experience in the profession. Because I know this person well, I was able to put it in context of how they could use their gifts in that new line of work.

In this situation, the triage was helping someone else evaluate their choices. In the past, I have been the fortunate recipient of a triage when I have had a tough decision. It was fun to pay-it-forward.

In Giving,


Robin
 

No comments:

Post a Comment